About Jon Niermann
Along with his two fellow full-time commissioners, Niermann establishes overall agency direction and policy, and makes final determinations on contested permitting and enforcement matters. Niermann also serves as Governor Abbott's appointee on the Western States Water Council.
Before his appointment, Niermann worked closely with the agency in roles at the Texas Attorney General’s Office, including assistant attorney general and chief of the Environmental Protection Division. The division handles enforcement and defense matters for Texas’ natural resource and utility agencies, including the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. In these roles, Niermann led the Texas delegation to negotiations that resolved the state’s claims relating to the Deepwater Horizon disaster, and he was the lead attorney on several petitions for review of EPA rulemaking actions under the federal Clean Air Act.
Niermann has also been an environmental attorney in private practice, where he was recognized with multiple pro bono service awards. Before his legal career, he was the safety and environmental manager for a heavy-equipment manufacturer.
Niermann earned a bachelor’s degree in history from the University of California at Santa Barbara. He earned a master of business administration and juris doctor from the University of Oregon. While at Oregon, Niermann served as editor-in-chief of the Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation.
- 2017 Texas Environmental Excellence Awards announced. Mar. 6, 2017.
- 2016 TEEA Winners. May 4, 2016.
- Governor Greg Abbot’s Greeting to 2016 TEEA Winners. May 4, 2016.
- TCEQ congratulates 2016 Texas Environmental Excellence Awards winners. Mar. 14, 2016.
- Meet Jon Niermann, the TCEQ’s Newest Commissioner. TCEQ’s Natural Outlook, Apr. 2016
- Governor Abbott Appoints Niermann To Texas Commission On Environmental Quality. Sept. 10, 2015
Commissioner Niermann on YouTube
- Western States Water Council
- Office of the Attorney General
- Texas Environmental Excellence Awards
- About the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan (TERP)
- Today's Texas Air Quality Forecast